As the year is slowly coming to an end, I’ve been finding myself thinking about the past months a lot. 2013 definitely wasn’t an ordinary year for me. It was a challenge, a year full of ups and downs, but in the end I came out stronger than ever. Here’s a little review of what went well this year and what didn’t as well as some goals I want to reach in 2014.
What went well
- The one thing that made me happiest this year was my relationship with the boyfriend. At the beginning of 2013, our relationship was in its baby-stages. We were madly in love and these feelings for each other grew endlessly throughout the past year. I can’t even describe how great it is that I’ve found him. This year we’ve definitely grown into a strong team that is able to face whatever challenges life throws at us together. He is my rock and I know whatever happens he is there to catch me when I fall. And that is the greatest thing in the world. We also made a big decision by moving in together. We’ve been living together at my place since September and we were lucky to find our dream apartment to which we will move this January.
- Music-wise my goal for this year was to play our songs in front of an audience. We did so 3 times this year which was one of the greatest experiences I’ve ever had. We started off with a little street gig at the music festival Rock im Park, then played 3 songs at an open stage event and took part in a private charity concert. We also managed to find a drummer who, despite being a lot younger than us, has been sticking around for a while now which gave us the opportunity to make some progress again after multiple letdowns.
- I saw a lot of great bands live this year. 30 Seconds to Mars went on tour to support their new album. I’d been waiting for 1,5 years to see them again and being as obsessed as I am I saw them 5 times this year. Another highlight was to see Muse which was a dream come true for both the boyfriend and I. Biffy Clyro was another memorable show. I also went to a big music festival for the first time, something I’d wanted to do for ages and I loved every minute of it. So much so that I went to a few more. In total, I went to 3 festivals and 6 concerts.
- 2013 was also a good year in travel with 2 bigger and lots of smaller trips. See my travel review here.
- It was an average year in blogging, but I gained a lot of new followers and also introduced a new category called “Musings on Music” in which I’m sharing more about my biggest passion. I’m going to do a more detailed review on this topic once the year is over.
What didn’t go well
- In 2o13, I probably hit the lowest point in my entire life when I had some kind of breakdown (I don’t know how else to call it) resulting from a long period of stress at work. Looking back now, it feels like it took me almost half the year to crawl out of that dark hole I’d fallen in. It was incredibly hard and more often than not I felt like even normal things were taking up all my energy. Slowly, I was feeling better and better, I felt my strength coming back, but still something wasn’t right. I’d thought about running away from the work that had brought me to that place more than once. In the end, I stayed, but I opened my mouth. I talked about what had to be changed in my work situation in order for me to feel good again. I was very lucky to have a boss who was eager to help me and I can now say that I like going to work again. It’s not my passion, it’s what gives me the freedom money-wise to pursue my dreams, but I enjoy work and that’s something valuable.
- Creatively, it wasn’t a very good year for me. I think this is partly due to me being busy dealing with the breakdown and it’s aftermath. But I was also being a bit lazy and the boyfriend and I suddenly had to deal with the situation that we’re now not just band mates anymore, but more than that. And many times we spent our free time being lovey-dovey instead of making music. I only wrote 1,5 songs this year which is a total disappointment. We also had to deal with the fact that we were being abandoned by fellow musicians again and I think along the way we lost our motivation to find replacements. So despite of some highlights like the gigs we played things were moving pretty slow this year.
- I also didn’t take care of my blog as much as I wanted this year. There were long breaks between posts sometimes because I was too busy with other things. I feel like I could’ve done so much more because I certainly wasn’t short of ideas. I just didn’t make enough time for it.
My goals for 2014
- In 2014, I want to make music my number one priority again. I want to write songs on a regular basis and I also want to learn more about music theory. I’ve started to work through a book on that topic, so I want to finish that. I’ve also picked up playing keyboard again to help me understand things better and I also want to try to play it in the band. We’ve also started a recording project with the songs we already have, so we’ll hopefully have 6 finished songs recorded in a couple of months. Another goal is to finally have a full band with which we can go on stage. I definitely want to have a gig with a full band at least once this year. That’s my biggest dream and I will do anything to accomplish it.
- I also want to get into a better blogging routine again. I have lots of ideas for things to post and I want this place to become more lively again. My goal is to write 100 posts this year which makes an average of about 2 posts a week. I think that’s completely doable. I also want to share more about my life and the things I do on here. I will continue to share my thoughts on life and all it entails because that’s simply something I can’t stop doing, but I think that sharing some posts about actually living would be a good addition.
- As I said in my travel review, there probably won’t be any big trips in store for me next year. But I still want to travel as much as I can, just on a smaller budget. Now that we’re having a car, we can basically go anywhere we want around here and there’s loads of things to discover even close-by. Of course, I’ll share all these adventures here.
- Of course, I’ll also continue to go to concerts and festivals and I hope there’ll be some great shows to see in 2014. So far, I’m already going to 3 concerts (including one in France which means I’ll get to travel, yay!) until March and to Rock im Park again in June which I think is a pretty good schedule already. I can’t wait to add more!
- Last but not least, I want to focus on making a nice home for me and the boyfriend in our new apartment. I’m sure there’s going to be discussions about the future as well because somewhere along the road we both want to have a family together. But that’s future talk for now.
In summary, I can say that 2013 was a year of recovery and reflection for me. And also a year in which I had to overcome some pretty big obstacles in my way. I learned a lot about myself which gave me a better sense of who I am and I now feel ready to conquer life again. So I want 2014 to be the year of living and doing! I want it to be filled with adventures, dedicated to the people and things I love. I can’t wait to get started.
How was your 2013? And what are your plans for the new year?